Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread Family Night

Dinner
We ate Gingerbread Waffles, eggs, bacon & sausage, and fruit & yogurt salad.

This was a HUGE hit with the whole family.  Really, what could be simpler than breakfast for dinner?

Activity
We made a graham cracker Gingerbread house (adobe of course because we're in the southwest)!  I set out an egg carton with various fillings in each section.  We used marshmallows (became luminarias & snowmen), sprinkles of various sizes & colors, chocolate chips (walkway & roof tiles), pomegranate seeds (doorknobs & windows), shredded coconut(snow) and walnuts (wood pile). 




R worked his fine motor skills by trying to eat the dropped sprinkles.

Not the prettiest, but M sure had a good time!

Craft
I traced a gingerbread man using a cookie cutter onto a paper plate and then cut it out.  We used this as a stencil to paint gingerbread men on plain white paper.  I think I'll cut them out and use them as tags or cards to family members.

 I tried to draw a little Gingerbread Man storyboard that I could add the cut gingerbread man to, but M hijacked it and turned my river into a Christmas tree.  She has just recently started actually drawing representative pictures instead of just scribbles, so it's pretty neat to see what she comes up with.
Books

We read The Gingerbread CowboyThe Gingerbread Cowboy and The Gingerbread Boy: Level 2 (Easy-to-Read, Puffin)The Gingerbread Boy.  We also watched a few "books" on YouTube.

The Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread BabyThe Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett:
There was this cute little Sesame Street clip:

And a music video:

Another great family night!

2 comments:

  1. I love your family night idea. We just made gingerbread "people" yesterday and a gingerbread house at my mom's group today. My son had so much fun. Ever since we found The Gingerbread Man book by Eric Blair he has been fascinated with gingerbread stuff. I can't wait to show him all these videos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete